Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Maryville Academy Gala

I'm a little slow on getting images of this oh-so-glam event out, but we've had some exciting things happening at our house this week, so I hope you'll forgive me. :-)

I had only been to the Drake Hotel once before, when some friends and I decided to dress up and hit the town for the evening. I remember being struck by the opulence of the historic building - crystal chandeliers, ornately carved pillars, lush floral arrangements everywhere. So when Mary called and invited me to photograph their Gala event there, I was THRILLED! And believe me, this party did not disappoint. Guests arrived to this black tie event dressed to the nines, and a lot of $$$ was raised for a very worth cause.

Check out the main dining room:


There were a lot of hugs, handshakes, and laughter during the cocktail reception:


And I mean it when I say every detail was attended to. Right down to the custom napkins. This group really knew how to pull together an elegant event.


The program part of the evening was, for me, the most interesting part. I didn't know much about Maryville or what they do, but I quickly learned that they are a haven for Chicago's children. The focus of the evening was on their crisis nursery program, where parents can leave their children in a safe and caring environment while they navigate employment, health, or relationship obstacles. What a wonderful service these staff and volunteers provide, and the families in the program attested to its positive impact in their lives. Even Cardinal George made an appearance to thank those involved in supporting and running this special service. It was clear that his presence was a big deal, and he graciously took time to talk with many of the party goers.


After all the speeches, thank-yous, and video presentations, these folks were ready to party! So the dance floor was opened, and the energy hit a super high. I couldn't help but smile as I watched so many show off their best moves. :-)


Thank you, Maryville, for inviting me to be part of such a special night!



No comments:

Post a Comment